Scientific Research Services for JAX Faculty
The Electron Microscopy Service is a component of Histopathology Sciences. We provide a variety of techniques and services for the Research Staff and outside users on a fee-for-service basis. These include, but are not limited to:
- All aspects of tissue preparation
- Numerous routine and special procedures
Specialized Electron Microscopy techniques offered include:
- Immunogold Labelling
- Ultrathin Cryosectioning
- Microarray Sectioning
We routinely process tissues for ultrastructural examination and provide technical assistance with procedures ranging from tissue fixation through the examination and analysis of specimens on the Scanning or Transmission Electron Microscopes (SEM, TEM). We provide personalized service for each investigator. Preparation for both scanning and transmission electron microscopy is available.
Before initiating an EM project, you should talk to the EM Service staff so that the optimum preparation of your tissue or cells takes place. Fixatives and buffers are freshly prepared for each project by EM Service staff.
The service is currently equipped with the following:
- JEOL 1230 Transmission Electron Microscope with EDAX X-ray Microanalysis unit, AMT 2K Digital Camera and Gatan Cryo Specimen Holder.
- Hitachi 3000N VP Scanning Electron Microscope, PCI Quartz Image Management software and a Peltier Cooling stage for fresh, unfixed specimens.
- Leica UC6 Ultramicrotome with a cryosectioning attachment
- RMC MT 7000 Ultramicrotome
- Emitech 550X Sputter Coater
- Emitech 950X Carbon Coater
Training on both the TEM and SEM is offered. Once you are familiar with the operation of the electron microscope, you may sign up for time on either microscope and work independently. Images are transferred to a customer-provided thumb drive.