You have choices about the data we collect. When asked to provide certain personal information you may decline, but where such information is necessary to provide a service or feature, your use of that service or feature may be restricted as a result.
We collect two types of information during Web visits:
1. Information that you submit to us; and
2. Information automatically recorded by our computer server using technology like cookies.
Information you submit
You may give us information about yourself by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register for a course, seminar or conference, complete a survey or customer service request, subscribe to any content or research tools such as software or databases, and when you become a new customer. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, date of birth, nationality, phone number, and preferences. The information you submit is maintained on a confidential basis and used to provide a high level of personalization, value and customer support to the users of The Jackson Laboratory Website, as well as our services and research tools.
Information collected automatically
Our computer server(s) operating the Website automatically collect statistical information on site traffic and usage patterns (e.g., how many people visit the site, frequently visited pages, browsers used, etc.). Data about visits is analyzed in aggregate with many other visits to give us information about the effectiveness of the Website. An example of use of this aggregate information would be analyzing this information to identify specific Web pages to improve, which would enhance the overall functionality of the Website.
Standard information collected about individual Website visits
Information about individual Website visits is critically important to providing a high level of individualized service to you. Information collected from Website visits is used to help ensure that your experience with our Website is productive, time efficient, helpful and personalized. The standard information that is automatically collected and stored about your visit to our Website includes:
- The IP address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Computer information such as browser type, version, and time zone setting, operating system, and platform;
- The navigation path used through our web site; and
If you do not want your browser to accept cookies, you can turn off the cookie-acceptance option in your browser settings. The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
Use and sharing of personal information
We may use your information in a number of ways, including to provide the Website content and other services available through our Website, to personalize and improve the services we offer, to carry out our obligations, to communicate with you about our services, research tools and educational tools, and in other ways that you may agree.
More specifically, you agree that we may use (and, where specified, share) your personal information for the following purposes:
- To engage in transactions. The Jackson Laboratory may use personal information such as name, physical address, telephone number, email address and company to engage in transactions with you, including contacting you about your order.
- To process transactions. The Jackson Laboratory may use financial/credit card and payment information to process your order. The Jackson Laboratory may need to share some of this information with delivery services, credit card clearing houses and other similarly situated third parties to complete the transaction.
- To provide support or other services. The Jackson Laboratory may use your personal information to provide you support or other services you have ordered, as well as updates and other similar communications.
- To tailor information to your needs and respond to your requests. The Jackson Laboratory also may use your personal information to respond directly to your requests for information, including registrations for newsletters or other specific requests.
- To select content, improve quality and facilitate use of the websites. The Jackson Laboratory may use your personal information, including the information gathered as a result of site navigation and electronic protocols and cookies (including third-party cookies), to help create and personalize Website content, facilitate your use of the Website (for example, to facilitate navigation, avoid duplicate data entry, enhance security, improve Website quality, track marketing campaign responsiveness, and evaluate page response rates.
- To communicate with you (including by regular mail, phone, email and/or mobile messaging). The Jackson Laboratory may contact you to let you know about new services, tools or educational offerings, or to inquire about your desire to support The Jackson Laboratory in its mission. This may include market research so that we can improve the research tools and services we offer or targeting advertising and marketing activities.
Our processing of your personal data for these purposes is necessary for reasons including but not limited to: (i) the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (ii) in order to take steps you requested prior to entering into a contract, (iii) legitimate interests pursued by The Jackson Laboratory, and/or (iv) you have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes.
We will not sell or rent information gathered during visits to the Website to any third party. However, we may need to provide some of this information to a third party if required by third party license agreements, by grant obligations or by law.
Occasionally, we post surveys on the Website. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary. By choosing to participate in a survey on the Website, the survey participant gives us consent to use information in the survey as described above and to disclose results in aggregate with other survey responses. Some examples of uses for survey information include, but are not limited to, monitoring use of and satisfaction with the Website and helping guide our priorities for improving this site.
Email communications and Marketing
If you have registered for our courses or other educational offerings, purchased or otherwise subscribed to our research tools and databases, and have supplied an email address, you will receive emails pertaining to your registration, purchase or subscription. We may also let you know about new services, tools or educational offerings, or to inquire about your desire to support The Jackson Laboratory in its mission. You can "opt-out" or “unsubscribe” from receiving these types of emails by using the opt-out or unsubscribe mechanism located within a received email message. Other newsletters are permission based where users can opt-in and opt-out.
Your Rights in relation to your data
As a “data subject,” you may have rights to access, correct, delete your information or to object to or restrict our processing of it in certain situations. Your rights will depend on what country you reside in and applicable law. No fee is usually required to exercise these rights, but we may need to collect additional information from you in order to verify your identity and determine the applicable law, if any.
In certain circumstances, you may have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes or where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. Generally, other than in relation to marketing, our processing of your personal data is in order to allow us to provide you a service, so we will be unable to provide the service to you without processing your personal data
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- In many countries, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority if you have concerns about how we process your personal data.
- When technically feasible, we will—at your request—provide your personal data to you or transmit it directly to another person or entity of your choosing.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Security and encryption
We use reasonable precautions to protect against loss of, misuse of, alteration of, or unauthorized access to information provided through use of the Website.
Security related to sensitive information
When our order forms ask users to enter sensitive information, that information is encrypted and is protected using an Entrust certificate with hash algorithm of SHA256.
Links to other sites
Processing in the United States
Our headquarters are in the United States. Information we collect from you will be processed in the United States.
We retain your personal data for as long as the data is relevant for the purpose for which it was collected. We may retain your data for a longer period, if such retention is required by law, or if any litigation or investigation arises that involves your data. Personal data collected for purposes related to contract performance with commercial partners will be retained until such contract has been performed. Personal data collected for purposes of our legitimate interests shall be retained as long as needed to fulfill such purposes.
We do not use personal data for any automated decision-making process or technique that creates or denies any right or benefit to you.
Essential Cookies . These cookies are essential for enabling user movement around our website and providing access to features such as your purchases and other secure areas of the website. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing purposes and do not remember where you have been on the internet. This category of cookies cannot be disabled.
Analytics Cookies . We use Google Analytics cookies to collect information about how visitors use our website. These cookies collect information in the aggregate to give us insight into how our website is being used. We anonymize IP addresses in Google Analytics, and the anonymized data is transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Marketing Cookies . We also use a marketing database management program that deploys a cookie when a user interacts with a marketing communication, such as a marketing email or a marketing-based landing page on our website. This cookie collects personal information such as your name, which pages you visit on our website, your history arriving at our website, your purchases from the website, and the like. Collected information is used to evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns or to provide better targeting for marketing.
To request information about your personal data or to exercise any rights you may have regarding your data, please complete and submit this Privacy Inquiry Request Form.