You have choices about the data we collect. When asked to provide certain personal information you may decline, but where such information is necessary to provide a service or feature, your use of that service or feature may be restricted as a result.
We collect two types of information during Web visits:
- information that you submit to us; and
- information automatically recorded by our computer server using technology like cookies.
Information you submit
You may give us information about you by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register for a course, seminar or conference; complete a survey or customer service request, subscribe to any content or research tools such as software or databases, and when you become a new customer. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, date of birth, nationality, phone number, and preferences. The information you submit is maintained on a confidential basis and used to provide a high level of personalization, value and customer support to the users of The Jackson Laboratory Website, as well as our services and research tools.
Information collected automatically
Our computer server(s) operating the Website automatically collect statistical information on site traffic and usage patterns (e.g., how many people visit the site, frequently visited pages, browsers used, etc.). Data about visits is analyzed in aggregate with many other visits to give us information about the effectiveness of the Website. An example of use of this aggregate information would be analyzing this information to identify specific Web pages to improve, which would enhance the overall functionality of the Website.
Standard information collected about individual Website visits
Information about individual Website visits is critically important to providing a high level of individualized service to you. Information collected from Website visits is used to help ensure that your experience with our Website is productive, time efficient, helpful and personalized. The standard information that is automatically collected and stored about your visit to our Website includes:
- The IP address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Computer information such as browser type, version, and time zone setting, operating system, and platform;
- The navigation path used through our web site; and
If you do not want your browser to accept cookies, you can turn off the cookie-acceptance option in your browser settings. The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
Use and sharing of personal information
We may use your information in a number of ways, including to provide the Website content and other services avaible through our Website, to personalise and improve the services we offer, to carry out our obligations, to communicate with you about our services, research tools and educational tools, and in other ways that you may agree.
More specifically, you agree that we may use (and, where specified, share) your personal information for the following purposes:
- To engage in transactions. The Jackson Laboratory may use personal information such as name, physical address, telephone number, email address and company to engage in transactions with you, including contacting you about your order.
- To process transactions. The Jackson Laboratory may use financial/credit card and payment information to process your order. The Jackson Laboratory may need to share some of this information with delivery services, credit card clearing houses and other similarly situated third parties to complete the transaction.
- To provide support or other services. The Jackson Laboratory may use your personal information to provide you support or other services you have ordered, as well as updates and other similar communications.
- To tailor information to your needs and respond to your requests. The Jackson Laboratory also may use your personal information to respond directly to your requests for information, including registrations for newsletters or other specific requests.
- To select content, improve quality and facilitate use of the websites. The Jackson Laboratory may use your personal information, including the information gathered as a result of site navigation and electronic protocols and cookies (including third-party cookies), to help create and personalize Website content, facilitate your use of the Website (for example, to facilitate navigation, avoid duplicate data entry, enhance security, improve Website quality, track marketing campaign responsiveness, and evaluate page response rates.
- To communicate with you (including by regular mail, phone, email and/or mobile messaging). The Jackson Laboratory may contact you to let you know about new services, tools or educational offerings, or to inquire about your desire to support The Jackson Laboratory in its mission. This may include market research so that we can improve the research tools and services we offer or targeting advertising and marketing activities.
We will not sell or rent information gathered during visits to the Website to any third party. However, we may need to provide some of this information to a third party if required by third party license agreements, by grant obligations or by law.
Occasionally, we post surveys on the Website. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary. By choosing to participate in a survey on the Website, the survey participant gives us consent to use information in the survey as described above and to disclose results in aggregate with other survey responses. Some examples of uses for survey information include, but are not limited to, monitoring use of and satisfaction with the Website and helping guide our priorities for improving this site.
Email communications and Marketing
If you have registered for our courses or other educational offerings, purchased or otherwise subscribed to our research tools and databases, and have supplied an email address, you will receive emails pertaining to your registration, purchase or subscription. We may also let you know about new services, tools or educational offerings, or to inquire about your desire to support The Jackson Laboratory in its mission. You can "opt-out" or “unsubscribe” from receiving these types of emails by using the opt-out or unsubscribe mechanism located within a received email message. Other newsletters are permission based where users can opt-in and opt-out.
Your Rights in relation to your data
You have rights to access, correct, delete your information or to object to or restrict our processing of it in certain situations. No fee is usually required to exercise these rights, but we may need certain information from you.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes or where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. Generally, other than in relation to marketing, our processing of your personal data is in order to allow us to provide you a service, so we will be unable to provide the service to you without processing your personal data
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
What we may need from you - We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Security and encryption
We use reasonable precautions to protect against loss of, misuse of, alteration of, or unauthorized access to information provided through use of the Website.
Security related to sensitive information
When our order forms asks users to enter sensitive information (such as credit card number), that information is encrypted and is protected using VeriSign Site Pro with a 128-bit SSL (Global Server) ID for encryption and authentication.
Links to other sites