We discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
Operating revenue FY2013: $240.5 million
- Public support, including grants and contracts: $63.1 million
- JAX® Mice, Clinical & Research Services: $165.3 million
- Contributions and other: $12.1 million
FY2014 budget: $262.4 million
Total staff: 1,670 employees
- Bar Harbor, Maine: 1,267
- Sacramento, Calif.: 214
- Farmington, Conn.: 150
- Other locations: 39
More than 250 Ph.D.s, M.D.s, and D.V.M.s, including:
- 48 Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors
- 50 Research Scientists and Research Associates
- 17 Emeritus Scientists
- 21 Adjunct Scientists
- 4 Affiliated Scientists
- 66 Postdoctoral Associates
- 5 Predoctoral Associates
48 Principal Investigators leading research groups in six major areas:
- Cancers: brain, leukemia, lung, lymphoma, mammary, cancer initiation and progression; cancer detection and therapies
- Computational biology and bioinformatics: mouse genome informatics, comparative genomics
- Developmental and reproductive biology: birth defects, Down syndrome, aging, osteoporosis
- Immunology: HIV-AIDS, anemia, autoimmunity, immune system disorders, lupus, tissue transplant rejection
- Metabolic diseases: atherosclerosis, diabetes, gallstones, hypertension, obesity
- Neurobiology: blindness, cerebellar disorders, deafness, epilepsy, glaucoma, macular degeneration, neurodegenerative diseases
Genetic resources - FY2013
- 3.0 million JAX® Mice distributed
- JAX® Mice have been shipped to approximately 20,000 investigators (or laboratories) in more than 900 institutions, in 56 countries.
- More than 7,000 varieties are available as breeding mice, frozen embryos, or DNA samples.
- The Jackson Laboratory Mouse Repository: This repository, maintained by our Genetic Resource Science group, is included among the most premier mouse resources available to the biomedical research community. It currently features a portfolio of over 2,500 targeted and 1,200 transgenic mutant mouse lines representing mouse models for much of the human disease spectrum. Over 600 hundred lines are added to this collection annually.
- The Laboratory’s Animal Health program oversees the health, welfare and husbandry of Jackson Laboratory mice and provides expertise in the evaluation of clinical diseases.
Cancer Center designation
The Jackson Laboratory, founded in 1929 as a cancer research facility, has been designated as a Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute since 1983 to conduct basic research.
Education, Training and Courses & Conferences, FY2013
- Summer Student Program: 34 high school and college students
- Courses, Conferences and Workshops: 20 programs, 565 participants, 342 faculty
- High school internships offered since 1993, school-year program open to all local high schools: average eight students per year
- College internships, a semester's independent research project on campus: average four students per year
- Science teacher sabbaticals
- Masters of Science in Teaching with University of Maine
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Predoctoral Associate program with University of Maine and Tufts University: five participants
- Postdoctoral Associate program: 66 participants