JAX College Scholarship Program supporting future scientists in biomedicine and research
This program is open to graduating high school seniors who reside in Connecticut, Maine, or in Sacramento County, California.
The Jackson Laboratory College Scholarship Program
Many promising students are unable to pursue higher education on account of the financial burden a college education presents. The Jackson Laboratory, through the JAX College Scholarship Program, will award a $10,000 scholarship to three students from underserved backgrounds who will pursue a college degree and aspire to a career in biomedicine. This program is open to graduating high school seniors who reside in Connecticut, Maine, or in Sacramento County, California. One student from each location will be awarded this scholarship.
The mission of The Jackson Laboratory is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease, and the scholarships will be awarded to students who share this goal by pursuing a career in research or medicine.
- Must be nominated by a teacher, administrator, or guidance counselor
- Demonstrate either significant financial need or status as a first-generation college student, including individuals whose parents have not completed a Bachelor’s degree
- Applicants must be on track to complete their high school diploma with a cumulative GPA greater or equivalent to 3.5 on a standard 4.0 scale
- Online teacher nominations to be submitted between October 1, 2019 through February 1, 2020
- Scholarships will be awarded in late Spring 2020
In addition to the financial award, JAX will facilitate internship programs for scholarship recipients throughout their college career and sponsor annual campus visits to Bar Harbor, Maine and Farmington, CT. Scholarship recipients are expected to maintain strong academic performance and provide periodic updates on their college experience through blog posts and presentations.
Nominate a Student
Nominations can be submitted by email to email@example.com, with the subject line, 'Scholarship nomination'.
Include in the nomination email the following information:
- Nominator: your name, title, school affiliation, and email address.
- Nominee: the student's name, school affiliation, and email address.
- Describe why you are nominating this student for a JAX College Scholarship. Provide specific examples to illustrate why this scholarship could provide a distinct advantage or opportunity to this nominee. Describe how well this student will match the scholarship's stated goals of supporting an individual who has significant financial need, has strong high school academic performance, and is planning to pursue higher education or a career in biomedicine.