The Jackson Laboratory, a nonprofit biomedical research institution, is announcing a comprehensive and immediate hourly wage increase, adjusting its minimum wages for non-exempt (hourly) employees from $15 to $18 per hour.
More than 1,200 employees – about half of the JAX workforce – will benefit from the wage increase. This group includes a variety of positions such as animal care and operations, research, administration, and other technical areas.
In addition to raising the nonprofit’s overall minimum wage, the vast majority of hourly employees will receive an increase to their current compensation later this month. The increase will result in an annual investment in employee compensation of more than 5 million dollars.
“JAX is proud to be an employer of choice and a leader in recognizing and rewarding employees for their contributions to our mission to improve human health,” said JAX Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer . “We understand that our greatest resource is our people. And we work every day to make sure that they are taken care of here at JAX. This includes staying ahead of the market with respect to compensation, , and working hard to address issues that employees face daily such as affordable housing, childcare and parental leave. It all comes back to people, and we are excited to recognize the JAX workforce in this special way.”
JAX believes that the increase in its wage scales will help ensure employee retention for its 2,400 employees in Maine, California and Connecticut and help attract new employees as the Laboratory grows with nearly , including nearly 70 in Maine focused in animal care, customer service, and IT.
As part of the JAX team, employees have access to a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including, but not limited to:
- JAX helps employees achieve and maintain their overall health by providing excellent health and dental benefits along with onsite fitness centers and wellness classes.
- Employees can grow their personal wealth while they plan for the future by participating in JAX’s retirement plan, which includes an employer contribution of up to 5.0% and an additional dollar-for-dollar match of up to 5.0% of annual earnings.
- With 110 participants currently in the program, JAX supports its employees’ personal and professional development through tuition reimbursement for degree programs and other educational opportunities.
- When our employees add a new family member, we offer paid parental leave so they can bond with their new child.
- JAX fosters an employee-focused culture including employee events and two paid days per year to participate in volunteer opportunities.
The Jackson Laboratory has a strong focus on being an employer of choice and enhancing total compensation for those pursuing a career at the Laboratory. In fact, during the pandemic, JAX took active measures to ensure that there were no layoffs or furloughs. Importantly, the organization continued to grow, remained on solid financial footing and granted pay increases, while introducing new benefits including a COVID leave benefit, paid family leave, and paid volunteer time off.
“This latest hourly wage increase puts into action and recognizes the contributions of our frontline employees and how they directly contribute to the productivity and success of JAX,” said Longley.