Research Tools: Cre-lox and More
A. Research Tools: Cre-Lox and More FAQ
Additional Cre-Lox resources listed below in the Cre-Lox Resources Section
2. Does my mouse need to be homozygous for cre?
No, generally one copy of cre is sufficient to recombine loxp sites.
3. What is the difference between cre and iCre?
iCre is an alternate version of cre designed for improved expression and reduced chances of epigenetic silencing in mammals. Click here for more information.
4. Where is cre expressed in this strain?
For this information:
- Read the Detailed Description on the strain datasheet
- Look in the “Genetics” section for “Site of Expression” data
- Read the primary reference
- See if the Cre Repository has characterized this strain
5. Should I breed the male or the female with cre?
See if the strain datasheet makes a specific recommendation in the Technical Support Section’s “Breeding Considerations”. Generally we recommend that the male be used as the cre carrier unless otherwise indicated on the Strain Datasheet. Please see item 1 in this article for a specific example of a strain where this matters.