This strain is currently unavailable due to replenishing of cryopreserved stocks. Interested customers can register interest.
JF1/Ms (Japanese Fancy Mouse) was derived from a fancy mouse stock, and has been identifed as belonging to species M. m. molossinus. JF1 is homozygous for the the piebald allele (Ednrbs). Wild-derived mice are genetically distinct from common laboratory mice for a number of complex phenotypic characteristics and are valuable tools for genetic mapping, evolution and systematics research.
JF1/Ms (Japanese Fancy Mouse) was derived from a mouse stock purchased from a market in Denmark, and has been identifed as belonging to species M. m. molossinus. JF1 carries the piebald allele, a retroposon-like insertion in intron 1 of the endothelin receptor type B (Ednrb) gene, which results in a white coat with black spots and black eyes. The white areas of the coat are lacking in neural crest-derived melanocytes. In addition to alterations in coat color, JF1 mice exhibit a decreased amount of enteric innervation and neuronal density predominantly in the distal colon, but do not exhibit any of the megacolon symptoms often associated with mutations in Ednrb. Wild-derived mice are genetically distinct from common laboratory mice for a number of complex phenotypic characteristics and are valuable tools for genetic mapping, evolution and systematics research.
In 2019-2020, researchers at The Jackson Laboratory discovered this inbred strain contains the Trem2S148E allele - a naturally occurring variant at position 48351151-48351152 on Chr 17 (rs108080490 and rs107649577; Ensembl GRCm38.p6). This TC to GA transition results in a serine to glutamic acid substitution at amino acid 148 (S148E).
Mice of a stock identified as a Japanese Fancy Mouse were purchased from a market in Denmark in 1987 and maintained by sibling inbreeding at the National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Japan. In 1993, at generation F20, the established inbred strain was named JF1 (Japanese Fancy Mouse 1). Genetic analysis employing DNA microsatellite markers, biochemical markers used for typing mouse subspecies, and restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis of mitochondrial DNA led to the conclusion that JF1 is of the species Mus musculus molossinus (Koide et al. 1998). Mice of this strain were imported by The Jackson Laboratory in May 2000 from Dr Toshihiko Shiroishi.
|Allele Synonym(s)||pied spotting; s|
|Gene Symbol and Name||Ednrb, endothelin receptor type B|
|Strain of Origin||old mutant of the mouse fancy|
|General Note||Also called piebald spotting. This is a very old mutation of the mouse fancy, and was described in the scientific literature as early as 1920 (J23183). Some piebalds in existing stocks may be of independent origin.|
|Molecular Note||This mutation is allelic to a targeted mutation for this gene. Homozygous mice produce approximately 25% of the normal levels of transcript from this allele. RT-PCR analysis demonstrated that no alterations in the coding sequence would result in any alteration of the amino acid sequence. A 5.5 kb retrotransposon-like element is found in intron 1. About 75% of the mRNA produced is an aberrant 6.5 kb form lacking exons 2-6 but containing exon 1. The remaining 25% of the mRNA formed is of normal, 4.4 kb, size.|
When using the JF1/MsJ mouse strain in a publication, please include JAX stock #003720 in your Materials and Methods section.