Scientists rank The Jackson Laboratory one of the "Best Places to Work in Academia"
|Date: Aug. 1, 2012||
Bar Harbor, ME — The Jackson Laboratory has again been voted among the top 15 "Best Places to Work in Academia" in the world for 2012. The poll was conducted by The Scientist, a magazine for people working in the life sciences.
Readers participating in the survey cited the Laboratory's infrastructure and environment as well as peer interactions as the institution's greatest workplace strengths. The Laboratory was ranked number 11 of 25 top worldwide academic research institutions (up from number 13 in 2011), a list that also includes Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
The survey results are published in the August 2012 edition of The Scientist.
The Jackson Laboratory is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution based in Bar Harbor, Maine, with a facility in Sacramento, Calif., and a new genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn. It employs a total staff of more than 1,400. Its mission is to discover the genetic basis for preventing, treating and curing human disease and to enable research and education for the global biomedical community.
The Best Places to Work in Academia, 2012
1. J. David Gladstone Institutes, San Francisco
2. Sage Bionetworks, Seattle
3. Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, Mo.
4. Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (CeMM), Vienna, Austria
5. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
6. La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology, La Jolla, Calif.
7. Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle
8. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tenn.
9. Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
10. Blood Systems Research Institute, San Francisco
11. The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine
12. Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
13. Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston
14. University of Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada
15. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, Calif.
16. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
17. University of Pittsburgh
18. Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel, Switzerland
19. Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
20. Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, N.Y.
21. Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City
22. University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
23. H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, Fla.
24. University of Groningen, Netherlands
25. The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City
Source: The Scientist, August 2012
Joyce Peterson, 207-288-6058, The Jackson Laboratory
Media Relations, Communications Office
The Jackson Laboratory
600 Main Street
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609-1500
Phone: 207-288-6058 (journalists only)
Main Jackson Laboratory phone: 207-288-6000