Lab milestones

The Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory was founded in 1929 by Clarence Cook Little, a Harvard-trained geneticist who had served as president of the University of Maine and the University of Michigan.

Little created the first inbred (genetically uniform) mouse strains and wanted to use them experimentally to establish that cancer was a genetic disease, not an infectious disorder, as was widely thought at the time. He gained initial financial support for the Laboratory from Detroit industrialists Edsel Ford, president of the Ford Motor Company, and Roscoe B. Jackson (for whom the Laboratory is named), president of the Hudson Motorcar Company.

Little chose Bar Harbor as the site for his new research institution because he had successfully brought students to the area for summer field studies in natural history. The Laboratory was built on land donated by Little’s family friend, George B. Dorr.

In 1933 the Laboratory began providing genetically defined mouse strains to the scientific community as experimental models for various human diseases.

In 1963 the Laboratory was renamed The Jackson Laboratory.

Tab 1

Year

Milestone

2010

JAX® Mice from The Jackson Laboratory were part of the Space Shuttle Discovery crew that lifted off from Cape Canaveral on April 5, part of an experiment to help scientists understand the long-term effects of space environment on the immune system's ability to fight infection.

2010

When the Maine State Science Fair languished for lack of funding, The Jackson Laboratory took over the Fair coordination as part of its mission to educate the next generation of scientists.

2010

Jackson Laboratory Professor Emeritus Douglas Coleman, Ph.D., a pioneer in obesity and diabetes research, shares the prestigious 2010 Albert Lasker Basic Medical Research Award with Dr. Jeffrey Friedman of Rockefeller University and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

2011

Edison T. Liu, M.D., an international leader in cancer biology, genomics, human genetics and molecular epidemiology, is appointed president and chief executive officer of The Jackson Laboratory.

2011

The Connecticut legislature approved $291 million in bond funding to build a new Jackson Laboratory center for genomic medicine in the state.

2011

Professor John Eppig, Ph.D., a pioneer in developmental and reproductive biology, was elected to the National Academy of Sciences, one of the top honors in American science.

2011

The Jackson Laboratory joins 10 top New York medical and academic research institutes in founding the New York Genome Center. Launched at a ceremony in New York, the NYGC will become one of the largest genomic facilities in North America, providing Jackson researchers with access to vastly increased gene-sequencing capability and expertise.

2012

The Jackson Laboratory established a new Rare and Orphan Disease Center to address conditions that, while individually rare, collectively affect about one in 10 Americans, according to the National Association for Rare Disorders.

 

2012

A $27 million expansion of the JAX—West facility in Sacramento adds new vivarium space to house and care for genetically defined mice that are provided to the West Coast biomedical research community. A $27 million expansion of the JAX—West facility in Sacramento adds new vivarium space to house and care for genetically defined mice that are provided to the West Coast biomedical research community.
 

2012

The Jackson Laboratory purchased of the former Lowe’s building in Ellsworth, Maine, securing a 143,000-square-foot building on a 17-acre site for expansion of its Maine operations.
 

2013

More than 300 scientists, state officials, business leaders and other invited guests marked the start of construction of The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Conn.
 

 Milestones timeline home

Tab 2

Year

Milestone

Genetic Resources Building

2000

Genetics Resources building opens.

 

2000

A $16.3-million grant from the NIH funds a major new research program at The Jackson Laboratory to increase the number and availability of mouse models for human neurological diseases such as epilepsy, addiction, and neurodegenerative disorders.

Luanne Peters

2000

The NIH awards a $14-million grant to The Jackson Laboratory to establish a center for mouse models of heart, lung, blood, and sleep disorders.

Richard Woychik

2002

Richard Woychik, Ph.D., is named director.

2004

75th Anniversary celebrations include a scientific symposium: "The role of the mouse in biomedical research--past, present and future," featuring prominent researchers in cancer, retroviruses, MHC, stem cells, metabolism, genomics, and interdisciplinary science.

 

2006

Center for Genome Dynamics established to study systems genetics with $15.1 million grant from NIH.

East Research Building

2006

East Research Building opens with a ribbon cutting ceremony attended by U.S. senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, U.S. Representative Tom Allen, and Maine Governor John Baldacci.

Bob Braun

2007

Robert Braun, Ph.D., assumes role as Associate Director and Research Chair at the Laboratory.

JAX-West opening

2009

JAX—West's new facility opens in Sacramento, Calif., greatly expanding the Laboratory's West Coast presence.

 Milestones home

Tab 3

Year

Milestone

 

1960

The Laboratory helps conduct the first Medical Genetics Short Course, organized by Victor McKusick & John Fuller.

The Jackson Laboratory

1963

The official name of the institution changes to The Jackson Laboratory on September 18.

 

1968

Annual research grant total reaches $2 million.

Mouse Genetics Laboratory

1974

Mouse Genetics Laboratory is dedicated and named for Earl Green on his retirement. Doug Coleman is appointed interim director.

Richmond Prehn

1976

Richmond Prehn is appointed the third director of what is now the world's largest center of mammalian genetics research: 450 employees, 700,000 mice, $9 million budget.

Larry Mobraaten

1979

The Frozen Embryo Repository is established, directed by Dr. Larry Mobraaten (today known as the Cryopreservation Resource).

George Snell accepts Nobel Prize

1980

George D. Snell, Senior Staff Scientist Emeritus, accepts the Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology.

1980

Biomedical Research and Animal Research Laboratories completed (Snell wing).

Barbara Hugus Sanford 

1981

Barbara Hugus Sanford named director.

 

1983

National Cancer Institute awards CORE grant, making The Jackson Laboratory the only mammalian laboratory designated as a Cancer Center.

Morrell Park fire

1989

On May 10, a fire destroys the Morrell Park mouse production facility; half a million mice are lost. Kenneth Paigen, whose appointment as the next director was to begin in October, is visiting the Lab that day and immediately takes over as director.

 

1992

New Morrell Park opens.

North Research Building ribbon cutting

1993

North Research Building completed.

1999

The 40th anniversary of the Short Course on Medical and Experimental Mammalian Genetics closes with a major genetics symposium.

 Milestones home

Tab 4

 

   Year

Milestone

1923

Clarence Cook (C.C.) Little, president of the University of Maine, holds the first summer laboratory session the Bar Harbor area with six students. The camping trip is for a field study project in natural history.

C.C. Little

1929

C.C. Little ends his term as president of the University of Michigan and founds the Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory in Bar Harbor. Support came from Detroit industrialists such as Edsel Ford and Jackson, president of the Hudson Motorcar Company, with land donated by family friend George B. Dorr.

Early staff photo

1930

The staff consists of Clarence Cook Little, Elizabeth Fekete, Joseph Murray, Arthur Cloudman, Leonell Strong, Charles Green and John Bittner.

Summer students

1931

The Jackson Laboratory hosts its first summer students, including Caroline Silence.

 

1933

The first Jackson mice are sold to researchers at other institutions.

 

1941

The first edition of Biology of the Laboratory Mouse—the first book devoted to mouse biology and genetics—is published.

Fire destroys Jackson Laboratory

1947

A fire destroys most of the Jackson Memorial Laboratory and its mice. Researchers rally to rebuild stocks; donations and mice come in from around the world.

 Jackson Laboratory rebuilt

1948

Jackson Laboratory newly rebuilt from donations and mice from around the world.

 Highseas

1951

Morris / Hawkes estate donates Highseas.

Earl Green 

1956

C. C. Little retires; Dr. Earl Green appointed as new director.

 

1958

Acquisition of Morrell Park from Louise Drexel Morrell. Built in 1898 as Robin Hood Park, the land was used for carriage, harness, and flat horse racing; renamed in 1919 in memory of Morrell’s husband.

Milestones home