Putting money back into Maine
The Jackson Laboratory is good for Maine's economy.
- The Laboratory employs more than 1,300 people living in 12 Maine counties and 72 Zip codes.
- We create more than 2,500 indirect jobs in Downeast Maine.
- 93% of our revenues come from out of state and 85% of those revenues are spent in the state of Maine.
- We use Maine vendors. Millions of dollars are spent with over 700 in-state vendors each year.
- The Lab makes an annual payment to the Town of Bar Harbor in lieu of taxes (latest: $61,800 in November 2008).
- Visitors participating in Jackson education and training programs contribute about $500,000 a year to the local economy.
- The Jackson Laboratory’s presence ranks the town of Bar Harbor in the top 100 (#74) for U.S. cities and towns receiving National Institutes of Health funding.